Sunday, January 31, 2010

Card Based Combat Systems

Ok, I have to ask, whose idea was it to have people running around in full 3D environments throwing cards at each other?

At base, the premise of most card based battle systems is quite rediculous. Lost Kingdoms claims that those with runestones (as in you the player) can use the cards of power to do incredible things, giving them divine properties. Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories states that each card is a memory and using it allows you to remember how to use the technique, ok for magic but do I really have to remember how to swing my sword? Baten Kaitos explains that you can carry a lot more with you if you store all your items in Magnus (cards). These explinations help, but it is still odd to picture yourself charging into a fight with a deck of cards in your hand.

But here's the thing, I like these systems, for the most part at least. And others must too, because they keep making new games with this type of combat. But again, why? Usually, these systems are incredibly unforgiving. Lost Kingdoms gives you 30 cards, and when you run out, that's it; you done. After awhile, they give you cards to restore used one but still a careful eye must be kept on your deck at all times. Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories requires you to spend time focusing to get your cards back. This takes longer for each time you do it. Also, each card is numbered and you must beat the number on an enemy's card or you just lose it. It moves too fast for me personally, I'm  terrible at this game. Baten Kaitos is possibly my favorite card system, though it is notoriously complex. Lining up numbers for combos is hard and must be done quickly, but at least with the turn based system, it's easier than Chain of Memories. You are not trying to dodge enemies and pick out a higher number at the same time. You also go until you cannot draw a full hand, at which point you lose a turn "Shuffling the Deck...". All this makes me practically cry when I miss with a card.

So, why do I like this? For one, I enjoy a challenge. I get annoyed when I'm presented with something truly impossible, but that is not what happens here. Here I can always see the way forward or realize that I've used my cards irresponsibly. But there's an under lying key point here. Card based games are still fairly rare, and so it's a new and innovative play style for most. There's still lots of unexplored potential in card systems.

I'm becoming increasingly aware of innovative gameplay and have begun to seek it out. This is because it has become my focus and a key idea that I am presenting to Grad schools as a research area. Too many games are recycled versions of old ideas in new settings, or just with new stories. It's not until you try something truly new that you get attention and make a game that leaves a lasting impression.

So give an innovative card based (or any new and innovative idea) game a try today!

Anyone have any of their own ideas/examples for new and interesting gameplay?

P.S. On a related note, don't be afraid to post comments you know!

Sorry, Robot Man, but I don't care if you're cool, because I've got a freaking dragon!... on a playing card.

No comments:

Post a Comment