Sunday, July 25, 2010

Withdrawal

There's always something that you love to do. It might be reading books, golfing, or playing video games. Having a hobby of some sort is always a good idea, it's something to turn to in order to take your mind of any issues for awhile and just generally relax. After awhile, your brain becomes accustomed to having that release time. And when you, for whatever reason, can't get that time, you go into withdrawal.

Of course, with any discussion of withdrawal usually comes one of addiction as the two go hand in hand. Addiction is a dirty term, used to blast down the unworthy. Being called an addict can really rub you wrong. This is why it hurts so bad when people accuse video games of turning people into socially rejected addicts who spend their lives in front of computers, instead of say raising a family.

With that, goes the idea that if a video gamer is deprived of games for awhile, he'll go  into a minor coma and drool until he's given his games back. Yes, games are very nasty that way. But think for a minute, what about your own hobbies?

What if you were unable to do the thing you enjoy most during your relaxation time? Maybe you'd have backups, but what if those were unavailable as well? If you were unable to do anything that you considered fun and rewarding during your free time, you may well go nuts too.

If we want to look at things in this light, then everyone is an addict probably. If they're not, then they're probably a very sad person, not enjoying anything in life. Addiction seems to me to be either perfectly natural, or in need of a better definition. Either way, I think that the people who accuse video games this way need to step back and look at their own habits a little more first.

Okay fine, I have to admit, he's got it pretty bad.

2 comments:

  1. I know that video games are your vital force, but I just wish you had at least one other interest (girls don't count!) in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we were on our trip to Alaska, I didn't have a piano to play. I missed it, yes. But I had a book -- I read. I had my shoes -- I walked. I had my camera -- I took pictures. I didn't even have a pen and paper, but I thought about plot, and one-wheeled Segway scooters.

    So is the answer to never venture too far from a well-tuned piano? No. The answer is to have some viable options.

    ReplyDelete